unilad
Advert

Ted Cruz Slammed Online After Making Jokes About Trip To Cancun

by : Niamh Shackleton on : 26 Feb 2021 17:47
Ted Cruz Slammed Online After Making Jokes About Trip To CancunPA Images

Ted Cruz is under fire yet again after making light of his recent trip to Cancun during Texas’s devastating winter storm.

Texans were hit with severe weather conditions last week but, in the midst of the all chaos, Cruz jumped on a plane to Mexico with his family.

Advert

After receiving backlash, he returned to Texas two days later, used his daughters as an excuse and said that going away was a mistake. Upon his return, a mariachi band played outside his home as a form of protest.

PA Images

In the wake of the ongoing outrage, Cruz’s approval rate plummeted by 23% in a recent poll. His current overall approval rate sits 53% with Republicans, while this time last month it was at a healthier 76%.

Now Cruz has further ruffled people’s feathers after joking about his trip to Cancun.

Advert

Speaking today, February 26, at this year’s Conservative Political Action Conference (CPAC) in Orlando, Florida, he kicked off his speech by comparing the city to his recent holiday location.

As per the New York Post, the 50-year-old said to the crowd, ‘God bless CPAC. I’ve gotta’ say, Orlando is awesome. It’s not as nice as Cancun, but it’s nice.’

Too soon, Ted. Too soon.

Ted CruzPA Images
Advert

The joke reportedly received a mix response with some laughing at the senator’s joke, while others gasped in shock.

Meanwhile, people on Twitter didn’t see the funny side of things. One unhappy individual wrote, ‘Ted Cruz is the biggest fool in Congress,’ while another person dubbed him as a ‘joke’.

Someone else commented, ‘Cruz must be voted out of office and replaced with someone who is not a self centered narcissist and has empathy for his constituents.’

Cruz also mocked Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez – often known as AOC – during today’s speech despite her having recently raised $1 million dollars for Texas in the wake of the cold weather snap.

Advert

Implying Ocasio-Cortez’s reaction to last month’s Capitol riot was overdramatic, Cruz said, as the the Independent, ‘Bernie [Sanders] is wearing mittens, and AOC is telling us, ‘She was murdered!’ and the media desperately, desperately, desperately wants to see a Republican civil war.’

The senator reeled off even more jokes in his speech and made light of the importance of wearing face masks in a pandemic. Regarding health care professionals stating that we may need to wear masks for the next few hundred years, Cruz said ‘how much virtue do you want to signal’.

Advert

‘And by the way, not just one but two, three, four – you can’t have too many masks. This is just dumb,’ he added.

Maybe leave the jokes to the comedians, Ted.

If you have a story you want to tell, send it to UNILAD via [email protected]

Most Read StoriesMost Read

Sport

Jake Paul Poses With ‘$75 Million Dollars’ Earned From His Ben Askren Boxing Victory

Niamh Shackleton

Niamh Shackleton is a pint sized person and journalist at UNILAD. After studying Multimedia Journalism at the University of Salford, she did a year at Caters News Agency as a features writer in Birmingham before deciding that Manchester is (arguably) one of the best places in the world, and therefore moved back up north. She's also UNILAD's unofficial crazy animal lady.

Topics: News, joke, Ted Cruz, Texas, US News

Credits

New York Post and 1 other
  1. New York Post

    Ted Cruz jokes about Cancun trip amid crisis-level Texas storm

  2. Independent

    Ted Cruz mocks AOC over Capitol attack fears in grievance-filled CPAC speech