We all have our own unique idea about what constitutes having ‘made it’, whether we aspire to be billionaire entrepreneurs or just comfortable enough to reduce the stresses of bills.
For me, having ‘made it’ would mean being able to treat myself to nice clothes because I liked them, not just because I’d worn through my old jeans. Or being able to book a nice weekend away without risking being left short until payday.
And it seems UK residents have given this a lot of thought, with a poll of 2,000 people revealing the top 40 signs Brits regard as status symbols of success.
Not having to work and owning a holiday home have – unsurprisingly – come up top, closely followed by owning a second home or your very own private plane. Other more attainable lifestyle goals include possessing the full Sky+ package and doing your food shop at Waitrose.
The top 40 signs you have ‘made it’ are as follows:
1. Being able to retire early.
2. Not having to work.
3. Owning a holiday home.
4. Owning a second home.
5. Owning a private plane.
6. Flying business class.
7. Being able to spontaneously fly to Miami or across the other side of the world.
8. Going abroad just to shop.
9. Sending your kids to private school.
10. Having a cleaner/housekeeper.
11. Trying out new Michelin star restaurants.
12. Having a platinum credit card.
13. Having a PA.
14. Having a wine cellar.
15. Having a gardener.
16. Annual ski trips.
17. Having a home gym.
18. Drinking champagne rather than Prosecco.
19. Going on sailing weekends.
20. Having a weekly massage.
21. Always having champagne in the fridge.
22. Shopping in Waitrose.
23. Watching a football match from a hospitality box.
24. Having time to volunteer for charities.
25. Owning a hot tub.
26. Being on a first name basis with posh restaurant owners.
27. Owning a 55″ TV (or larger).
28. Having a well-stocked home bar.
29. Having a personalised number plate.
30. Having his and hers sinks.
31. Attending horse racing/Ascot every year.
32. Having electric garage doors.
33. Being on a first name basis with restaurant maître d’.
34. Being a member of a tennis/golf club.
35. Having the full Sky+ package.
36. Have a fridge with ice dispenser.
37. Knowing about wine.
38. Owning a wet room.
39. Own 1000 thread count sheets.
40. Owning a log burner.
The research was commissioned by PartiStaff, a company you can hire ‘party starters’ and waiting staff from for your next bash.
PartiStaff’s founder Richard Macphillarmy explained:
So many of the key indicators that you’ve ‘made it’ in life provide the perfect opportunities to show off.
But having staff help out and mingle with guests is an affordable and effective way to not only feel like you’ve made it, but to also lift the atmosphere of the party for your guests.
Other status symbols are all about outsourcing tasks, and having someone else take care of the boring stuff, whether it’s the after party cleaning, getting the garden ready, or ordering alcohol to your party via an app.
Will we all ‘make it’ in life? Making it is subjective anyway, and there are many ways to feel like you’ve made it into a good place.
Most people feel good about themselves when surrounded by friends, listening to good music and generally letting their hair down.
Using PartiStaff can enhance that feeling you’ve ‘made it’ by lifting the atmosphere of your party through hiring beautiful staff to serve the drinks and mingle with guests, taking the hassle and work away allows you to enjoy your own party the way you should.
Having great looking staff work for you at your parties gives you this feeling of having made it to a certain level where you can afford hired help to look after your guests.
If you have a story you want to tell send it to UNILAD via [email protected]