The US military is reportedly gearing up to evacuate people from South Korea as tensions between Donald Trump and Kim Jong-un rise.
An operation known as the Courageous Channel is supposedly taking place as a ‘last-gasp bid’ to ensure South Korean civilians escape the horrors of a potential nuclear war, writes the Daily Star.
US and South Korea forces have both announced they will hold ‘evacuation practices’ from October 23 to 27 – a rehearsal to ensure civilians know how to escape if there is a nuclear attack from North Korea.
Almost 30,000 US servicemen and women are currently stationed in South Korea.
United States Forces Korea spokesman, Colonel Chad Carroll, said:
We are currently planning no major adjustments or changes to the scope or scale of this year’s training.
Like other annual training exercises here on the peninsula, Courageous Channel sharpens our ability to stay ready across our spectrum of tasks.
This year’s exercise is not uniquely connected to any specific elements of the current geopolitical situation.
It comes amid rising fears the ongoing stand-off between Trump and Kim Jong-un could erupt into conflict.
North Korea has said Trump has lit ‘the wick of war’ and vowed to ‘settle the final score with a hail of fire, not words’.
Foreign Minister Ri Yong-ho made a lethal threat, previously unseen, following Trump’s controversial appearance at the United Nations summit last month.
The Daily Mail reported he said:
With his bellicose and insane statement at the United Nations, Trump, you can say, has lit the wick of a war against us.
We need to settle the final score, only with a hail of fire, not words.
Ri Yong-ho has previously labelled the US president as ‘President Evil’ amidst missile tests undertaken by the rogue nation.
One of those tests included an explosion of a hydrogen bomb.
Ri Yong-ho continued:
We have almost reached the last point on the journey towards our final goal - to achieve a real balance of power with the United States.
Our principal position is that we will never agree to any talks in which our nuclear weapons will be the subject of negotiations.
It was revealed last month residents of the US state of Hawaii had been told to prepare for a nuclear attack.
State authorities have warned citizens on the chain of islands they should have the same attitude towards preparing for a tsunami or hurricane as they should with a nuclear missile.
Gene Ward, State Representative, said younger Hawaiians were more worried than anyone else as this kind of stark warning has never confronted them before in their life, saying it’s ‘probably more surreal to younger generations'.
The Honolulu Civil Beat newspaper managed to snag a copy of the document handed out at the closed-door meeting.
It includes chapters to the tune of ‘Enhance missile launch notification process between US Pacific Command and the State Warning Point’ and ‘Publish a new 'Ballistic Missile Threat Annex' to the State Emergency Operations Plan (under way).'
Hawaii will introduce a siren warning system next month.
President Trump announced he will visit Japan, China, South Korea, Vietnam, the Philippines, and Hawaii in November.
During the president's visit, he is hoping to rally the country's neighbours into joining an economic sanctions campaign against North Korea.