unilad
Advert
Advert
Advert
Advert

Conor McGregor Breaks Silence After Arrest Outside Miami Hotel

by : UNILAD on : 12 Mar 2019 15:22
Conor McGregor/Instagram/Miami Police Department

Conor McGregor has broken his silence after being arrested and charged with strong-armed robbery and misdemeanor criminal mischief.

Advert

The former UFC featherweight and lightweight champion was arrested in the early hours of Monday morning (March 11).

McGregor allegedly smashed a fan’s phone as they tried to take pictures of him while leaving the Fontainbleau Miami Beach hotel at around 5.20 am local time.

Shortly after being taken into custody McGregor was released from the Turner Guilford Knight Correctional Centre after posting bond.

Advert

This morning (March 12) McGregor spoke publicly for the first time since the arrest, thanking his fans, adding he will work on his patience.

Sharing a photo on Instagram of himself leaving the correctional centre, McGregor is seen wearing a t-shirt with the slogan ‘when I say something is going to happen, it’s going to happen – McGregor is back’.

conor mcgregorconor mcgregorGetty

The caption on the post read:

Patience in this world is a virtue I continue to work on. I love my fans dearly. Thank you all.

Fans have shown their support, with McGregor’s post receiving more than one million likes at time of writing.

A police report seen by BBC Sport, said the alleged victim’s phone was valued at $1,000 (£760).

Advert

It added:

The victim attempted to take a picture of the defendant with his cell phone. The defendant slapped the victim’s phone out of his hand, causing it to fall to the floor.

The defendant then stomped on the victim’s phone several times, damaging it. The defendant then picked up the victim’s phone and walked away with it, depriving him of it. The defendant was located and arrested.

McGregor’s defence lawyer in Miami, Samuel Rabin, of Rabin and Lopez PA, confirmed the 30-year-old was involved in an ‘altercation’ over a mobile phone.

Conor McGregor Will Fight Khabib Next Says Dana WhiteConor McGregor Will Fight Khabib Next Says Dana WhiteGetty

A statement issued to MMA Fighting from Rabin read:

Last evening Conor McGregor was involved in a minor altercation over a cell phone that resulted in a call to law enforcement. Mr McGregor appreciates the response of law enforcement and pledges his full cooperation.

The Irishman just completed 25 hours of community service after pleading guilty to misdemeanor disorderly conduct after attacking a bus at the UFC 223 media day in Brooklyn last year.

He is currently suspended by Nevada Athletic Commission (NAC) for his role in the post-match brawl following his defeat to Khabib Nurmagomedov. at UFC 229 in October. This six-month suspension is due to end on April 5.

conor mcgregor courtconor mcgregor courtGetty

The fighter has been in Florida recently, preparing for his UFC comeback.

If you have a story you want to tell send it to UNILAD via [email protected]

Credits

BBC Sport and 2 others
  1. BBC Sport

    Conor McGregor: UFC star arrested in Miami for allegedly smashing fan's phone

  2. MMA Fighting

    UFC’s Conor McGregor releases first statement after arrest in Miami

  3. Conor McGregor/Instagram

    thenotoriousmma