Conor McGregor briefly reappeared on Twitter this morning, suggesting he is set to clarify his position with the UFC very soon.
The ‘Notorious’ tweeted that he is ‘going to make an announcement’, but then swiftly deleted the tweet.
With an army of followers refreshing his page every 30 seconds screenshots were captured.
Here is a screenshot
Conor McGregor tweets "I'm going to make an announcement"
He deleted it seconds after posting pic.twitter.com/yWfMK0oljt
— MMA History Today (@MMAHistoryToday) April 20, 2016
He then released this tweet promising the statement will appear ‘shortly’.
Ok no more games.
I am going to release a statement shortly.
— Conor McGregor (@TheNotoriousMMA) April 21, 2016
Dana White has suggested the door may actually remain open for the Dubliner to fight Nate Diaz at UFC 200, despite having previously said McGregor was dropped from the card.
As reported by MMA Fighting, the UFC president told Fox Sports 1:
[It’s] not a money issue. That’s false. That’s the problem with the Internet. You have all these hacks out there who just make stuff up for clicks. Never, ever was this about money. It was never about money. Conor makes a lot of money, and Conor’s very happy about the money he makes.
Conor for the most part is a stand-up guy. He’s never come back after agreeing on a deal, and the fight is announced, and he comes back for more money. Conor is not that type of person.
Our relationship isn’t damaged at all…I’m not even mad a little bit. I had pretty smooth day…. When Conor went out, 10 other people called asking to go in. It’s going to be a massive event. It’s still a big fight. No, I’m not mad at all.
Yeah, if he called me after this interview, we would probably still do it. The problem with this whole thing is you have to be here to promote your fight and you have to shoot this commercial. We’re spending $10 million in promotion for UFC 200, and all that money is motion. You can’t do this. I don’t care who you are, or how big you are, you can’t do this.
McGregor, meanwhile, has not stopped training while in Iceland – as confirmed by video uploaded to Mjölnir MMA’s Facebook.
White did comment that should the current featherweight champion follow through on his retirement claims there would be consequences.
Firstly, Jose Aldo and Frankie Edgar would not be fighting for an interim title, they would be competing to be the undisputed featherweight champion.
Secondly, as reported by MMA Fighting, McGregor must continue to subscribe to USADA drug testing until he notifies them in writing of his intention to retire. Should he then wish to return to competition, McGregor would face four months of testing before being allowed to compete again.
White added that as yet he has received nothing from the Irishman to substantiate rumours he is stepping away from the fight game.
An NCTJ Journalist with an MA in Sports Journalism, Kieron is an experienced social media journalist who has worked in the industry since 2015. His experience includes work with ITN, the MEN, WISH/WIRE/TOWER FM, and 8:50 Sports Digest… not forgetting his time at ASDA.