Conor McGregor’s dad has spoken out following claims his son was involved in a pub fight with a gangster’s relative.
Witnesses were vocal on social media when describing an apparent brawl between the UFC champ and three men, who’ve been said to have close links to criminal activity.
The alleged fight took place at The Black Forge in Crumlin, a suburb of Dublin, according to reports.
— Ross Edmonds (@RosssEdmonds) November 27, 2017
The Irish Independent said the sports star tried to assault a man in the pub, when someone tried to intervene before getting punched in the face.
The man, in his 50s, is said to have close links with a convicted drug dealer who’s connected to an infamous gang and now, a huge sum of money is reportedly needed to prevent further violence.
However Tony McGregor has refuted reports his family are under threat from the Kinahan cartel, reportedly headed by the ‘Dapper Don’ Christy Kinahan, along with his son Daniel.
Conor McGregor was seen by fans in the pub last Sunday night, before a scrap allegedly erupted, which is said to have including McGregor, a younger man, a man in his 50s and another unidentified man.
There are some strong rumours going around that McGregor was out last night in quite the drunken state in Crumlin, Ireland and got into an altercation with a young man.. no major reports of it yet but a fair few people have spoken about it on social media.. pic.twitter.com/gWt7dHfxnM
— The MMA Bible (@TheMMABible) November 27, 2017
Speaking to the Irish Mirror, Tony said:
That’s all nonsense that is. Absolute nonsense. It’s an absolute nonsense story. It’s grown legs and it’s getting that ridiculous – it’s become funny.
We have nothing to fear here whatsoever. There’s no one after us for anything. We’re a law-abiding family and we’ve stayed a law-abiding family.
As a matter of fact, right now I’m going out to buy my TV licence. I’d view 95% of that story as nonsense and the other 5% is overly exaggerated. And that’s it.
He’s at home with his son. We’re all just settling down for Christmas now. I’ve just got the grandson’s presents in today, they just came in from America.
I’ll be wrapping them, putting them under the tree for the big day. That’s it.
A Facebook post describing the alleged incident read:
Connor McGregor kicked off last night in Dublin thinking he was the big b*llocks and got into a fight, then battered three heavy Irish gangsters and one of their dads, who now want 900k off him.
He flew out of the country first thing in the morning. He either pays up or pays someone to kill them, or his family will probably get it haha [sic]
The only word so far from McGregor is a cryptic post on social media site Instagram, which merely shows the UFC champion in a black hoodie with only his eyes visible.