Dana White has essentially thrown cold water over any hope of a rematch between Conor McGregor and Nate Diaz.
Rumours have been circulating for a while about a bout between the pair, which would reportedly be taking place on December 30 in Las Vegas.
However, the UFC president has been dashing fans’ hopes for this belated Christmas prezzie via Twitter.
Replying to one MMA enthusiast’s desire for confirmation, Dana made the following damning tweet:
Not true AT ALL
Not true AT ALL
— Dana White (@danawhite) September 24, 2017
However, many UFC aficionados weren’t buying it, pointing to the many, many times when Dana has point blank denied something would ever happen which later turned out to be true.
Women fighting in the UFC, anyone? Jon Jones headlining? The comically long list goes on and on…
One fan even tweeted, ‘When Dana says ‘Not true AT ALL’, what he’s really saying is ‘it’s definitely happening’.
Women won't fight in the UFC, GSP won't retire, GSP won't come back, Conor won't fight Mayweather… Thanks for confirming it.
— Ross (@rossm) September 25, 2017
When Dana says "Not true AT ALL", what he's really saying is "It's definitely happening"
— 12-6 Elbow (@12to6elbow) September 25, 2017
in other words you've already started recording the previews for it.
— NY_T ?? ?? (@41st_side_718) September 25, 2017
unfortunately you saying this means nothing, could still happen….. remember lesnar wasnt going to be at UFC 200 ??
— Henry Hemmings (@henryhemmings37) September 25, 2017
It seems people haven’t given up on a rematch just yet, and if Dana the Backtracker’s reputation is anything to go by, we may well still be having two New Year celebrations this year.
Jules studied English Literature with Creative Writing at Lancaster University before earning her masters in International Relations at Leiden University in The Netherlands (Hoi!). She then trained as a journalist through News Associates in Manchester. Jules has previously worked as a mental health blogger, copywriter and freelancer for various publications.