At UFC 229 last night (October 6) the action after the main event was more dramatic than the fight itself.
After Conor McGregor tapped out in the fourth round leaving Khabib Nurmagomedov victorious, a brawl started when the Russian jumped out of the Octagon, attacking members of Conor’s team.
As chaos ensued the audience looked on in shock, including rapper, Drake, whose face was simply one of shock.
— Emil (@limeaer) October 7, 2018
You can’t really blame the musician for being so agape.
The post-fight events took everyone by surprise, despite what had happened previously with McGregor at the Barclays Center. Many fans thought it was ‘payback’.
— muslim daily (@BirdsOfJannah) October 7, 2018
Drake was at the T-Mobile arena in Las Vegas last night to show his support for McGregor, draped in an Irish flag.
Joining the Notorious on stage, Drake also posed for photos with the MMA fighter at the event.
The pair’s friendship certainly took McGregor’s fans by surprise who described it as ‘random’.
One puzzled person replied to the Irishman’s Instagram post writing:
[This is] the most random thing you will see all day.
Drake gonna release a new song rapping in an Irish accent smh. [sic]
During the post-fight press conference Nurmagomedov spoke to the press about why he attacked McGregor’s team, emphasising it was in response to inflammatory comments made by the Notorious.
As reported by the Independent, he also apologised for his actions saying:
I want to say sorry to the Nevada State Athletic Commission. This is not my best side. He talked about my religion, my country, my father.
He came to Brooklyn, he broke my bus and nearly killed two people. So why do people still talk about me jumping over the cage? I have shown respect.
I told you guys: his whole team and him, they are tap machines. Today he tapped. Undisputed and undefeated.
This is a respectful sport. This is not a trash-talking sport. I want to change this game. You cannot talk about religions and nations. This for me is very important. Thank you for waiting for me. I know my father is gonna smash me when I go home. Nevada: sorry. Vegas: sorry.
He took a picture with Putin. But Putin just called me and told me he is proud of me. And he said congratulations.
— SB Nation (@SBNation) October 7, 2018
While three of Nurmagomedov’s team were arrested at the event, they were later released.
UFC President, Dana White, confirmed McGregor has decided not to press charges against Nurmagomedov’s team following the mass brawl.
According to the Daily Mail, he spoke to press at the post-fight conference stating:
I saw one of Conor’s guys yelling at Khabib, he then jumped over the octagon and went after him.
Two of Khabib’s guys got into the octagon and hit Conor with some shots from behind. They have pulled the footage from us and have withheld Khabib’s purse but not Conor.
Conor refused to press charges so the guys who were arrested have been released. The guys who jumped in will never fight here. I’ve been working hard for 18 years to build this sport.
Earlier today (October 7) McGregor called for a rematch, much to no one’s surprise.
So it may not be long until we see the pair go toe-to-toe in the Octagon again.
If you have a story you want to tell send it to UNILAD via [email protected]