Floyd Mayweather’s Response To McGregor Bus Attack Hasn’t Gone Down Well

0 Shares
Getty

Floyd Mayweather has finally responded to the Conor McGregor bus attack and it really hasn’t gone down well.

In case you missed all the drama, McGregor has been charged with three counts of assault and one count of felony criminal mischief by the New York Police Department after crashing the media day for UFC 223 on Thursday (April 5).

With his entourage of 30 men, McGregor allegedly attacked fellow UFC star Khabib Nurmagomedov’s bus at the Barclays Centre leaving lightweight fighter Michael Chiesa injured.

PA

As one of the Irishman’s biggest rivals, Mayweather was always going to have his say on the incident claiming a champion needs to behave outside the cage.

During Showtime‘s broadcast of the boxing last night, Mayweather said:

I feel that when you have reached such high status, you have to carry yourself in a classy way. I know that when we fought, we both sold the fight.

The world loved what we did, but outside the ring, you’ve got to carry yourself like a gentleman.

You can watch his full interview here:

Although this is pretty sound advice, people aren’t exactly impressed by Mayweather’s response pointing out that he hasn’t exactly acted like a gentleman outside the ring.

Between 2002 and 2011, the boxer was charged with five instances of violence in the public domain, two of which were counts of domestic abuse of ex-girlfriend Josie Harris.

In 2011 he served 60 days at a correctional facility after attacking Harris in front of the couple’s children.

During the interview the retired boxer also said he would only return to fighting if it is in the UFC.

After McGregor made the switch from UFC to boxing last year for the Mayweather fight, people have been wondering if ‘Money’ would do the same stepping into the Octagon.

And he certainly seems willing saying:

It is possible I do come back, but if I do come back, it has to be in the Octagon. I spoke with my team. I spoke with [adviser] Al Haymon. Al Haymon says no.

I spoke with Showtime. I spoke with [Showtime parent company] CBS. If I do come back, Showtime and CBS have to be involved.

Absolutely. If the money is right. The money is going to be crazy. I can do whatever I want to do. I’m Floyd Mayweather.

Although Mayweather didn’t specify he would like to fight McGregor, that is the event we all want to see.

PA

While Mayweather is looking to come to the UFC, McGregor’s future with the organisation is looking uncertain following the incident.

President Dana White publicly criticised the aptly named ‘Notorious’ after his attack leaving his future in doubt.

Speaking to Brett Okamoto from ESPN shortly before McGregor handed himself in to the police, the president said:

You can imagine he’s going to be sued beyond belief. This was a real bad career move for him.

Do you want to be in business with Conor McGregor right now? I don’t think anybody is going to want him right now.

I think everybody is going to be pretty disgusted. Listen, if you don’t like Khabib then fight him. You can do it legally. This fight is happening Saturday we could have done it. You could have done it within the rules of fighting.

But you want to grab 30 friends and come down here and do what you did today. It’s disgusting.

I don’t know if he’s on drugs or whatever his deal is. This is a guy who just had a baby.

It will certainly be interesting to see what happens. Watch this space.

If you have a story you want to tell send it to UNILAD via [email protected]