The long-awaited fight between Floyd Mayweather and UFC lightweight champion Conor McGregor may have just taken a step closer to reality.
This weekend, five-weight boxing world champion Mayweather said he is ‘officially out of retirement’ in order to fight the MMA star.
Speaking at a public appearance in Liverpool, England, Mayweather, who previously said he would only return to the ring to fight McGregor, gave the clearest sign yet that the bout would happen.
After instructing the audience to film him with their phones, Mayweather said:
For Conor McGregor, I’m coming out of retirement — just to fight Conor McGregor.
I don’t want to hear no more excuses about the money [or] about the UFC. Sign the paper with the UFC, so you can fight me in June. Simple and plain. Let’s fight in June.
A fight between the unbeaten boxer and the Irishman has been dominating headlines for months but has failed to come together thus far, and Mayweather’s comments were more or less in line with what he has been saying over the past few months.
But yesterday, the noise behind the potential fight took a serious turn.
According to FrontRowBrian, a MMA social media personality, June 10th has been reserved for the T-Mobile Arena in Las Vegas, Nevada.
Now, this doesn’t mean that the date is set for the much-awaited Mayweather/McGregor fight. But as FrontRowBrian pointed out, ‘the T-Mobile Arena is one of the most sought after venues in the world, they don’t just put a Saturday night in June on hold for nothing.’
[tweet https://twitter.com/FrontRowBrian/status/841031151573700608?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw/ conversation=”false”]
Is it pure coincidence that the date is put on hold shortly after Mayweather publicly announces that he’s no longer retired?
Or is this the sign we’ve all been waiting for?