Khabib Nurmagomedov has broken his silence after his victory against Conor McGregor at UFC 229, which ended in a post-fight brawl.
Last night (October 6) at the T-Mobile Arena in Las Vegas, in what was billed as the biggest fight in UFC history, Nurmagomedov defeated Irishman McGregor, who tapped out in the fourth round.
Seconds after, Nurmagomedov leapt out of the Octagon, and allegedly attacked members of McGregor’s team with the Notorious himself being punched by one of Khabib’s team.
— SB Nation (@SBNation) October 7, 2018
During the post-fight press conference, Nurmagomedov explained why he attacked McGregor’s team, saying the Irishman had made provocative comments about his ‘religion, country and father’.
As reported by the Independent, he also apologised commenting:
I want to say sorry to the Nevada State Athletic Commission. This is not my best side.
He talked about my religion, my country, my father. He came to Brooklyn, he broke my bus and nearly killed two people. So why do people still talk about me jumping over the cage? I have shown respect.
I told you guys: his whole team and him, they are tap machines. Today he tapped. Undisputed and undefeated.
This is a respectful sport. This is not a trash-talking sport. I want to change this game. You cannot talk about religions and nations. This for me is very important. Thank you for waiting for me. I know my father is gonna smash me when I go home. Nevada: sorry. Vegas: sorry.
He took a picture with Putin. But Putin just called me and told me he is proud of me. And he said congratulations.
While three of Nurmagomedov’s team were arrested at the event, they were later released.
UFC President, Dana White, confirmed McGregor has decided not to press charges against Nurmagomedov’s team following the mass brawl.
According to the Daily Mail, he spoke to press at the post-fight conference stating:
I saw one of Conor’s guys yelling at Khabib, he then jumped over the octagon and went after him.
Two of Khabib’s guys got into the octagon and hit Conor with some shots from behind. They have pulled the footage from us and have withheld Khabib’s purse but not Conor.
Conor refused to press charges so the guys who were arrested have been released. The guys who jumped in will never fight here. I’ve been working hard for 18 years to build this sport.
I know many of you are here for the first time, I can promise you that this is not what MMA is about. We worked hard to build a perfect event, we took all the right precautions, you’ve never seen so many police officers.
Nobody saw Khabib scaling that cage like he was a parkour guy, it happened so fast but they did a great job of containing it.
Earlier today (October 7) McGregor called for a rematch, much to no one’s surprise.
So it may not be long until we see the pair go toe-to-toe in the Octagon again. Hopefully with less mass-brawls this time hey lads!
If you have a story you want to tell send it to UNILAD via [email protected]
Emily Murray is a journalist at UNILAD. She graduated from the University of Leeds with a BA in English Literature and History before studying for a Masters in Journalism at the University of Salford. Emily has previously worked for the BBC, ITV and Trinity Mirror. When Emily isn’t writing about topics including mental health and entertainment, you can find her at the cinema which is her second home.