Khabib Nurmagomedov’s manager has said the UFC hotshot is closing in on a fight with Floyd Mayweather.
The Russian called out Mayweather after pummelling Conor McGregor inside four rounds at UFC 229.
In what was billed as the biggest fight in the 25-year history of the company, Khabib defied expectations by defeating The Notorious after landing a strong fist early in the second round which sent McGregor to the floor.
The fight eventually came to an end in the fourth round when McGregor was forced into submission.
Standing beside Leonard Ellerbe, the CEO of Mayweather Promotions, the 30-year-old lightweight champion said earlier this month:
Hey let’s go Floyd, we have to fight now. 50 and 0 versus 27 and 0, two guys that never lose. Let’s go, why not? Cause in the jungle only one king, only one king.
Of course I am the king. Because he [Mayweather] cannot drop McGregor but I drop him easily.
Mayweather said, in response to Khabib’s post-fight behaviour:
I’m not too familiar with the guy McGregor was fighting, but I know the guy he was facing was undefeated. McGregor is a tough competitor but McGregor’s opponent jumped out of the ring and was fighting people in the crowd so, very unprofessional.
It’s going to be a huge fine I’m pretty sure because with my fight against Zab Judah, there was a crazy melee in the ring and a huge penalty – a huge fine. If I’m not mistaken, seven figures.
Not to me, but could have been to Zab Judah or my uncle Roger or even Leonard Ellerbe, so I know when a guy’s jumping out of the cage into the audience and fighting different people, the fine is going to be crazy.
As it stands, Nurmagomedov is suspended by the Nevada State Athletic Commission and will likely be given a fine and ban in December following his lairy behaviour post-fight against McGregor.
Thus, it would probably rule out any hope of him going toe-to-toe with Mayweather in Vegas, which is the latter’s playground more of less – he hasn’t boxed outside Nevada since 2005.
Nevertheless, Nurmagomedov’s manager Ali Abdelaziz tweeted:
We will blow your mind big news coming @TeamKhabib.
Could very well be clickbait – awful clickbait if it turns out to be a sportswear range – but we can dream.
We will blow your mind big news coming @TeamKhabib 🔥🔥🔥🙏🏻
— Ali Abdelaziz (@AliAbdelaziz00) October 28, 2018
Following the furore at UFC 229, McGregor was suspended by the UFC on ‘medical grounds’ until November 6.
The official line on the UFC list of medical suspensions stated: ‘Conor McGregor: Suspended until 6/11/18, no contact until 28/10/18.’
As is often the case in the fallout of a fight, McGregor issued a congratulatory message for his opponent, writing on his Twitter, ‘Good knock. Looking forward to the rematch.’
It was McGregor’s first fight back in the Octagon since a two-year hiatus from MMA, during which time he boxed Floyd Mayweather, losing by TKO in round 10 of their August 2017 bout.
Let’s see how Khabib manages if he gets his fight with ‘Money’.
If you have a story you want to tell send it to UNILAD via [email protected]