Ryan Giggs Pleads Not Guilty After Allegedly Headbutting His Girlfriend
Ex-footballer Ryan Giggs has pleaded not guilty to assaulting his girlfriend.
Giggs allegedly headbutted his former girlfriend, Kate Greville, as well as attacking her sister.
The alleged incident took place in November 2020 at a property in Salford, Greater Manchester. Police were called to the home after reports of a disturbance, leading to Giggs being arrested. He was later bailed pending further inquiries.
Greater Manchester Police issued a statement at the time that read:
Police were called at 10.05pm on Sunday [November 1] to reports of a disturbance. A woman in her 30s sustained minor injuries but did not require any treatment.
A 46-year-old man was arrested on suspicion of section 47 assault and section 39 common assault.
In April, Giggs was charged with coercive or controlling behaviour, causing actual bodily harm, and common assault. Coercive or controlling behaviour is defined as: ‘An act or a pattern of acts of assault, threats, humiliation and intimidation or other abuse that is used to harm, punish, or frighten a victim.’
He’s now pleaded not guilty to attacking either of the women during a court appearance at Manchester Crown Court today, July 23.
In addition to the November altercation, Greville has alleged that she was subjected to years of abuse over the course of their three-year relationship. The PR executive said that Giggs used ‘harassment, humiliation, degradation and abuse’ during this period.
Speaking back in April, prosecutor Andrea Griffiths said that the Wales football manager ‘isolated [Greville] from her friends and colleagues’ and ‘subjected her to degrading treatment’, The Sun reports.
Today, Giggs was read out the allegations that Greville has made against him, which include kicking her out of a hotel room while naked, threatening to send emails to her friends and employers about their sexual relationship, and throwing her belongings out when she questioned him about relationships with other women.
The former Manchester United player also pleaded not guilty to a charge of coercive or controlling behaviour today, BBC News reports. He’s now due to go on trial at Manchester Crown Court on January 24.
Following the charges being placed against him earlier this year, the Football Association of Wales said it was aware of the incident and agreed that he will not be involved in the international camp.
If you have been affected by any of the issues in this article and wish to speak to someone in confidence, you can contact Victim Support free on 08 08 16 89 111 available 24/7, every day of the year, including Christmas.
Most Read StoriesMost Read