Netflix has announced today that House Of Cards will return for a final series, continuing production in 2018 without the disgraced actor Kevin Spacey.
In the wake of allegations against Spacey, Netflix chief Ted Sarandos revealed news fans had been hoping for: conclusion to the much-loved Washington based political powerplay drama about deception and criminal activity in the White House.
Speaking at a conference in New York, Sarandos confirmed the show’s final season would be comprised of eight episodes, as opposed to the usual 13, but did not give a timeframe for when the show would be available on the streaming network.
The Guardian reports Sarandos said:
We are excited to bring closure to fans.
Details of the plot have yet to be released but it was announced the concluding series will be focused around fan favourite Robin Wright as Claire Underwood wife of fictional President Frank Underwood.
Following actor Anthony Rapp’s allegations of sexual abuse perpetrated by Spacey, Netflix announced it will no longer work with Spacey in any capacity.
In the statement Netflix said:
Netflix will not be involved with any further production of House of Cards that includes Kevin Spacey.
We will continue to work with MRC during this hiatus time to evaluate our path forward as it relates to the show.
We have also decided we will not be moving forward with the release of the film Gore, which was in post-production, starring and produced by Kevin Spacey.
Since CNN published a report describing how Spacey made the House of Cards set a ‘toxic’ work environment through a pattern of sexual harassment towards the crew, the producers of the show have been increasingly eager to move the focus away from his character during the final season.
All eight people, each of whom spoke to CNN on the condition of anonymity for fear of professional repercussions for speaking out, described Spacey’s behaviour as ‘predatory’, saying it included non-consensual touching and crude comments and targeted production staffers who were typically young and male.
Unwilling to cancel the show because producers did not want to put the 2,000 cast and crew members out of work there is still room to safely write out Spacey’s character.
Reaction on Twitter has been unsurprisingly positive:
House of Cards is coming back with Robin Wright as the lead 😍😍😍
— Kristopher (@ohitskris) December 4, 2017
Dear House of Cards' screenwriters: Did you really need all this Kevin Spacey scandal for giving Robin Wright the screentime and protagonism she deserves?
— Rod Dog (@rodolphocezar) December 4, 2017
House of cards coming back with Robin Wright as the lead and kicking out Spacey? Fuck yes this is the show I want.
— Austen Marie💦 (@AustenMarieTV) December 4, 2017
Washington, we’re looking towards you now.